Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Worst Day of My Life

It all started off as a normal day. I drove to work like normal. Read my emails and listened to voicemails like I do everyday. The only out of the ordinary thing I had to do was meet a client in the ER because they were having a psychological break down but I have done that before so it was not that different.

My day was going fine. I was sitting in an ER room with my client and her guardian researching information on my phone. Not too bad even though I am sure there were 20 other things I could be doing. 

I get a text from my husband. "Call me as soon as you can."

Those text are never good.

So I step out of the room and call my husband. He picks up the phone and I instantly hear my 10 month old screaming in the background. 

My heart instantly starts racing. I am scared because I know that scream isn't a good scream. 

My husband tells me the Bug has pulled the baby gate down and hit himself in the mouth. I ask if he needs to go to the ER. Which I already knew the answer but didn't want to hear it. I am even more scared at this point because A.) My baby is hurt to the point of medical attention B.) What are they going to need to do to him?! C.) That's a HUGE medical bill we can't afford. 

I called my boss and got coverage so I could leave, grabbed my sister in law, and rushed home. We only had one car so there was no way I could meet him at the ER. I was on the phone with my co-worker who is also another mommy friend, giving her an update and I stop breathing. 

She asks me if I am home. I start crying and all I can say is "It's bad." All I see is blood. All over his face, shirt, and on my husband. 

She tells me to not worry it will be ok and to call her if I need her. She is my rock and has supported me through many, many, many uncertain times. 

My husband had everything ready to go so all we had to do was put Bug in the van. Well of course after he changed his shirt cause like I said blood was everywhere! 

We get to the ER and I rush in with Bug while my husband parks. Our ER was undergoing construction so there was no good place to park. I paced back and forth with Bug trying to calm him. He kept trying to suck his finger but he couldn't because his two bottom teeth were pushing straight forward. It was the longest 30 minutes before we were seen. 

When the doctor came in after examining Bug, she let us know that since we was so young putting them back in would cause more harm than help him. She decided that pulling his teeth would be the best bet. He did not have any harm to his mouth other than his teeth. 

I was so thankful that he did not have to get any x-rays or test completed because he would have been medicated to have those done. However, they were going to pull his teeth...without numbing him first. 

The doctor returned with the nurse and was explaining what was going to happen and asked for someone to help hold him. I looked at my husband and he said "I'll do it." Thank goodness for him at that moment cause I couldn't have done it. The doctor was showing him how to hold Bug and I almost lost it. My husband looks at me and says "It's okay if you can't watch."

I turned and walked right out of that ER room. I was pacing back and forth because all I could hear was Bug screaming. He kept screaming for what seemed like and hour. It wasn't but it felt like it. Another nurse came up and gave me hug while I was standing out there. She told me it hurt her to hear him too. She was so nice to me. 

When it was all over and done with Bug came out with a little stitch in his gums and two little teeth to be placed under his pillow. 

I had never seen teeth with the roots still attached so I was a little fascinated by it.

Now looking back on them they are actually very gross. We still have them in the bag that the hospital gave us. I am not sure what to do with them.

Bug now has 2 holes where his teeth should be. He will have those holes until his adult teeth grow in which the dentist said could be 6-7 years. It all depends.

I praise God for keeping him safe even though he was hurt. We are just lucky that it wasn't something worse. 


  1. I'm so sorry you had to go through this ordeal! Thank God my children have never had anything very serious happen that they needed immediate medical attention, but I've seen blood enough times to worry about a visit to the ER.

    Hope he's doing well

    1. He is doing great! It was the scariest thing I have dealt with as a parent yet. My older 3 have never been to the emergency room so that was a new experience for me.

  2. So sorry you had to go through this, as moms we never want our kids to get hurt. I am so happy your baby is doing great!

    1. I wanted to bad to be able to take his pain away but I couldn't. Thank you for stopping by my blog! I hope you come back!

  3. Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry this happened to your little guy! I'm glad that your husband was able to step up and be there during that hard time. I couldn't have done it either, Kristen! Thank goodness your son is feeling better!

    1. I don't know how my husband did it but he is always strong when I am weak which is part of the reason we make such a great team. I though I could handle it since I had worked in the ER and pediatrics but nope not that it was my baby!

  4. Oh my goodness! So sorry, how scary! Those calls are heart stopping, so glad that all is well now. I have had a few calls like this in my life with my 4 and I know it takes time to recover. I found you on MBC and hope you take a minute to visit me http://www.mybashfullife.com/

    1. I just hope I don't have too many of those calls but I am afraid that I will!

  5. I am so sorry you all had to go through that, how awful for you all. I hope he's doing okay now. It's so awful listening to them cry isn't it!
    Becky x

    1. He is doing great now! He doesn't even notice that those two little teeth are gone! I just broke my heart listening to him!